Sunday, October 7, 2012

Forster Ultimate Triathlon (45th, 11th 30-35)

2km/120km/20km

Some important lessons learned today. Most importantly don't swim with a HR monitor on. Within about 200m of the start of the swim, I started to hyperventilate - I thought I was going to drown. Luckily it was shallow enough for me to stand and I worked out it was my HRM. Stupidly I'd never worn it under my wettie before. I pulled off the top of my wettie and got the HRM off which felt so good, but had to signal a paddle boarder to help do my suit up again. All in I'd lost about 3mins and was about 10th from the back. Once I got going, I actually swam ok, 36mins would have been closer to 33mins without the crisis!

A super fast T1 and I was heading south into a huge headwind. Everyone was struggling and I was no different, I have a 80mm deep front wheel which doesn't handle well in a cross wind which we faced as we snaked south. I tried not to work too hard, but was getting passed for fun. The road surface was not great either, it's no surprise IM Aus was moved to Port. Turning at Around 58km, heading back north was great and I started to increase my pace, but everyone else seemed to be going even faster. I had a suspicion that a lot of people were going too hard (120km is a fair distance for a tri). I was right and on the second 58km lap, I wasn't passed by anyone and buried myself into the wind and back into T2, I made up about 50 places. 3hrs 33mins for the tide.

The run was a dream, I smashed it all the way, covering 20km in 76:41 (4th fastest of the day). I'd ran from 102nd to 45th overall.

My transitions were fairly speedy too, 1:26 and 1:08.

All up 5:29:49 and a decent start to the season. Clearly my open water swimming needs work and I need to translate my pool speed to racing.

This weeks stats:
13.5km swimming
215km riding
60km running

No comments:

Post a Comment