Sunday, August 12, 2012

M7 Marathon (5th place, 2:40:25)

I went into the race very relaxed knowing I was in great shape. Unfortunately, things did not go to plan...again!

At about 3km, I felt a searing pain in my left calf. I'd torn my hamstring early in the season and I was devastated that this felt similar. I'd been bang on pace up to this point and I ran on praying I was wrong and that I'd be able to run it off. This wasn't to be and I was forced to a walk. About 5 guys went passed me as I tried hard to keep going. I jogged for a couple of km's and determined to finish the race despite have almost 40kms still to go. I got myself into a painful stride for the next 8km or so, but just couldn't get my pace under 3:40/km. By the 15km mark, I'd lost so much time, I was feeling demoralised that I was unlikely to run a pb.

I guess the endorphins kicked in at this point and I picked up my uncomfortable rhythm to under 3:40/km. Through halfway in just over 88mins, I knew I'd expended too much energy with my uneven stride pattern. I held things together well until 34km at which point I paid for my earlier efforts. The last few km's were over 4mins and I was extremely relieved to cross the finish line.

My calf was pretty trashed, with a nasty bulge which dissipated a few days later turning the inside of my leg black from my ankle to my knee.

Despite all that happened, I learnt some important lessons. I think I've just about cracked the nutrition secret for a quick marathon and I now know I was sick at the GCM. 

No running for a few more weeks, but that's ok since my next challenge is Ironman WA and my bike and swim needs some attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment