Sunday, July 15, 2012

GU rules

36km with Andy

No breakfast allowed this morning, just a big glass of water (went without that last week, which explains why I felt so bad). A late start meant a lie in so I met Andy at 7:45 at his place for a hilly run. We weren't allowed to go too far from home as Courtney is due to give birth next week. So when Andy's phone went off after about 20mins and it was Courtney, I expected us to have to speed back...false alarm though!

I felt terrible after about 10km and we'd slowed to about 4:50/km. By the time we'd done 28km, we'd climbed 750m vertically and we'd kept about the same average pace. At 28km, it was time to take my only gel and pick up the pace for the final 8km. I wasn't too hopeful based on how I was feeling, but what a difference the GU made! I averaged 3:54/km for the final 8km.

I've always hated GU, but now I'm a convert.

138km for the week


1 comment:

  1. No breakfast? What is the thinking behind that?
    Amazing what can happen when your body has fuel to run on!

    ReplyDelete