Monday, June 11, 2012

Tough session ticked off

When we started my marathon build-up, Tiger sent me this video of a Hansons Brooks training session (26.2km at marathon goal pace) in preparation for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. I remember thinking at the time, 'wow that sounds tough', but it was some way off, so I wasn't too concerned.

It soon rolled round, so on Sunday it was time for me to do 27km @ 3:35/km (4 laps of the Bay run). There was lots of discussion about the merits of the session but in the end, I just needed to get out there and do it. I was a little nervous having never run so far at that pace in training, but had confidence that Tiger had got me to this point in the right shape to complete it. Friday was a rest day and Saturday was 6km easy.

At 7.10am, Tiger, Fats, Andy and I set off and stayed together for around 5km. Then it was just Fats and I up to 7km. I owe Fats; he buried himself to keep me company after an excellent 2nd place last week at the Glow Worm Tunnel Trail Marathon. Then it was me on my own, for another 3 laps, maintaining a rhythm to get the job done. 5km splits varied by no more than 20secs and my slowest km was 3:39.

All went to plan and I felt good at the finish. A Sri Chinmoy race around the Bay made for a few interesting traffic jams to run round, but I appreciated having people to catch. Had to laugh as I ran past one group of guys, one of them said "watch out, sprinter coming past". Thanks, but not really.

Perfect timing given it was a public holiday Monday, so I had an extra day off work to help recovery. Monday was 9km easy.

105km for the week




No comments:

Post a Comment